With online advertising becoming more prevalent and diverse every single day, it is important to stay on top of the ever-changing environment. Outside of advertising on social media networks, there are two key components to online advertising: search and display. I’m here to tell you a little bit about both.
Search ads appear as sponsored search results on search engines or as ads on relevant websites after one has submitted a search query. As the online realm’s most measurable form of advertising, search is the most common avenue, demonstrating remarkable success when implemented properly. By placing a product or service in front of consumers when they are researching or about to make a purchase decision, these ads can convert directly into clicks and ultimately purchases. This equates to more qualified lead generation and better ROI.
Some helpful tips for devising the ideal search strategy for your brand:
- Analyze consumer behavior trends.
- Keep your target customer in mind when creating ad copy.
- Use negative keywords.
- Don’t forget about remarketing.
- Use site links and ad extensions.
If the name didn’t already give it away, this is a much more visible approach to online advertising. Although it’s typically less likely to translate into direct clicks, it is a key element in raising brand awareness and often contributes to a customer’s eventual decision to click on a search ad and make a purchase.
Some items to be mindful of when designing a stellar display advertising campaign:
- Schedule paused ads.
- Design ads in all standard sizes.
- Consider placement exclusion.
- Try layering different targeting methods.
- Focus on the target market when creating and designing ads.
While both search and display advertising have a myriad of benefits on their own, it makes sense to combine forces in order to get the most bang for your buck. Running display and search campaigns simultaneously will not only enhance your reach, but may keep your brand at the top of a potential customer’s mind, particularly when they are ready to make a purchase.
Follow these rules when developing display and search advertising campaigns:
- Consider remarketing.
- Include a clear call to action.
- Test, test, test! Always test to see what works best.
- Use conversion tracking.
- Continually monitor campaigns, making adjustments as needed.
- Make ads mobile-friendly.
- Combine with SEO strategies.
- Create well-optimized, relevant landing pages.